Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The First Step Towards a New Project is Admitting You Have a Problem: Project Rainbow Collection

And boy, do I have a problem. Behold! My sewing area!
Please disregard Susan--she hates having her picture taken.
It's appalling, isn't it? It's like a six-year old quilter threw a tantrum. It is even worse when you peak behind the built-in counters.
Not-so-nice stacks.
Oh, the shame! And the June Burda Style bizarro photo shoot with the sexy family.
So, this amazing mess is what I refer to as "my stash". This massive stash is full of yards of fabric pieces and sizable remnants I've acquired since I started sewing three and a half years ago, and it has a lot of stunning designs and vibrant colors. Yet I still buy more fabric! Whenever I get the chance!

With this awesome stash (and my roaring, angry budget) in mind, I decided it was time to do SOMETHING about it. Enter Project Rainbow Collection!

The rules are fast and loose. I have to use fabric from my stash to check off every broad color category: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. I'll probably throw in black/grey and brown, though they aren't really in the rainbow that you picture gracing mountains and lakes. That's it, so I guess there is really only one rule. I'm not making myself go in color order because that is a surefire way to make sure I don't sew for a month or two, but I am going to focus on wearable items because lady likes new clothes! 

Another confession: I conceived of this idea a week or two ago, so I already made the red item. It's actually kind of a coral shade, but it is filed with the reds and pinks in the fabric library. Yeah! Good start!
Thanks, Kermit.

No comments:

Post a Comment