Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Rainbow Collection: Orange Paisley Sorbetto Tank

This project is the summer top I was deliberating over after I completed Rainbow Collection: Yellow Playsuit. The fabric is a light and airy partial synthetic that I picked up at a garage sale--judging by the pleats and wide hem this remnant came with, I would say that it had a previous life as someone's curtains. I'm a sucker for reusing and paisley (and curtains!), so the whole scene was perfect! Which is why this top kills me...
You can't tell, but this log I'm balancing on is elevated off the ground Dirty Dancing style. Except for it isn't over any water.
They say the measurements don't lie. Or do they? I think my measurements lie much more convincingly than I'm ever able to. They don't start smiling and giggling, nor does their voice raise several octaves. My measurements say size 12 on sewing patterns, yet this top was cut to be a size 10 and still appears to be blousy-weird. It isn't so bad that I have to give the top away to someone, but it is just enough to irritate me slightly. My sizing expectations are based on Mena's experience with this pattern, and her stuff always seems to fit perfectly. Dag.
The basic form of the Sorbetto top.
I had entertained the idea of beading this top...some small gold beads to outline random paisley squiggles, but I opted against it. I decided that beading--though crazy fun like Nic Cage--would have weighed it down and possibly looked out of place on such a beach-sunset tank. I still have future plans for this pattern and lace, though...
Branches in my hair! Hair in my branches!
The next time I make the Sorbetto, I'll size it down a notch then maybe add some sleeves? Little tulip sleeves? I won't be happy until I have a top that get's caught on my load-bearing shoulders! Oh, and these pictures were taken (at dusk, because I procrastinate) in Pinecrest last weekend. Why am I not still there? I should be swimming!

Up next, I think it is finally time to make a skirt. I tell ya, I've been looking like a dog-catcher at work, time to add some work-appropriate items to the closet!

No comments:

Post a Comment