I actually got it done in time for his birthday last week, but it was seriously great to be done with a project I started at the end of November or so.
It felt so great that I didn't even take any really good pictures of it before I wrapped it up and gave it to him. Hrm.
Anyhow, the idea of the shirt was to make CJ a nice western style shirt, but cooler because...well, I made it. I used the Simplicity pattern #6693, c1974, size 38 (I have the 40, too, just in case he grows). After secretly buying some fabric for this project, Michelle presented the idea of embroidering it. Yes, this shirt was the beginning of the past season's embroidery flurry for us. That took way longer than I thought it would since I was mostly stitching on the bus each day.
All of the embroidered pieces hanging out together.
The inner band of the collar.
After those pieces were done, I was able to start really working on the shirt. Shirts are difficult and the only advice I can offer is that if the pattern has markings you're supposed to transfer, you should transfer them. Big dots, little dots, crocodile mouths, transfer them all. For some reason I never think I need to transfer them, then I have to re-sew the sleeves eight or nine times. But, it worked out well enough in the end.
CJ was nice enough to pose for me today.
The pictures don't really highlight the embroidery at all. That might be because I was kind of in a hurry when I took these and Chris was complaining about the situation being awkward. We'll both work on that.
I intend to make him another shirt, I just don't know when or following what scheme. I have to make myself something first, a task I haven't accomplished in months!