Monday, May 3, 2010

Better Homes and Gardens Sewing Book: A New Hope

As I recover from Sunday's embarrassing, completely uncalled for bike accident, I have been trying to organize all of my upcoming projects and ideas. Last week I received a boon from Michelle in the form of our mother's 1970 edition of the 1961 Better Homes and Gardens Sewing Book, an item that survived one house fire or another from the looks of the spine. 

This is exciting not only because of the book's history, but it is also my first technique-based book. I have a few project-based books, most notably Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing, and I have balked at acquiring more books of the like because it seemed limiting. This sewing book, however, compiles alteration tips and problem solving techniques alongside chapters devoted to special fabrics and recommendations on which fabrics are good for which projects.


I look forward to reading it cover to cover, in spite of the spiral binding's separation (curse you, Better Homes!). I feel like that would probably be a better approach than waiting until I screw up and then seeing what I should have done.

The first project I have in mind which uses this book's knowledge involves a dress I was thinking of making for Brian and Vanesa's wedding, or possibly Claire and Nick's summer "this isn't a wedding" event. I was likely going to use Simplicity 2588 again, though with a full skirt, without sleeves, and hopefully without the mini-hunchback bubble my plaid dress suffered. I want to use the chapter on alterations to fix that hunchback bubble, and the chapter on interfacing to line the dress since the pattern doesn't make any mention of lining. Oh, and it will be in Amy Butler's martini in green fabric.
image courtesy of Cotton Candie Fabric
I will continue to ignore that pile of shirts I mean to alter. I will ignore them for some time, until they magically disappear. Or until Chris alters them for me, wouldn't that be a dream?

1 comment: